ATHE Dramaturgy Debut Panel Competition Winner–August 2016
The Dramaturgy Focus Group for the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) sponsors a competitive Debut Panel to showcase outstanding and innovative work by emerging dramaturgs in educational and professional theatre. One of the few and most distinguished honors available to early-career dramaturgs, this panel is adjudicated by both academic and professional theatre dramaturgs in the Americas.
As a 2016 panelist (alongside Sarah Jonson of University of Colorado Boulder, and Lauren Chapman of James Madison University), I had the honor of presenting my dramaturgical work on Steubenville at ATHE’s 30th annual conference in Chicago, IL.
Conference Speaking Engagements:
LMDA Conference 2016 in Portland, OR–July 2016
Before heading to Chicago to present at ATHE’s conference, I co-facilitated a forum with the incredible Jenna Rodgers on the state of early-career dramaturg training opportunities and resources for career growth. After this conversation, my fellow early-career dramaturgs and I drafted a manifesto, which proposed recommendations to more established dramaturgs on how to improve dramaturgy training programs and strengthen relationships between dramaturgs in different career phases. We then presented this document to the LMDA Board at the Annual General Meeting concluding the conference.
MOSAIC Conference in Pittsburgh, PA–March 2015
I also presented Steubenville‘s findings on gender dynamics that result from rape culture at CMU’s annual gender conference, MOSAIC. For more information about Steubenville, click here. For a PDF copy of my presentation slides, click here.
WP Theater (Women’s Project) in New York, NY–August 2015–June 2016
- I worked under Artistic Director Lisa McNulty to support her artistic endeavors at WP. It made me proud to support gender parity and diversity in theatre while learning from some pretty fantastic female artists through this internship.
- My primary roles involved supporting the WP Lab residency program. I helped coordinate communications with the 2014-2016 WP Lab artists, and provided production support during the inagural Pipeline Festival. I also worked extensively on processing applications for the 2016-2018 Lab.
- My responsibilities also included writing coverage, training new interns, scouring papers for reviews and theatre news, preparing dramaturgical materials for Dear Elizabeth, and helping with administrative tasks.
- Then, of course, there were the days I got to represent WP at TheaterMania’s annual street fair on the Upper East Side. And the days Lisa and I dressed up as Rosie the Riveter to support gender equality.
Abrams Artists Agency in New York, NY–Summer 2014
- I worked under the agents in the New York Literary Division: Beth Blickers, Leah Hamos, Charles Kopleman, Sarah Douglas, Amy Wagner, Max Grossman, Ron Gwiazda, Ben Izzo, and Katie Gamelli.
- I assisted with script coverage, hosting in-office readings, covering out-of-office readings and performances, research, contract comparisons, and clerical work.
- One of my most memorable assignments was copy-editing John Cariani’s Last Gas script before it was sent to be published. What a great writer, and a wonderful person!
- Through my time at Abrams, I became better acquainted with New York City artists and theater companies.
The Space Theatre in London, UK–Summer 2013
- I worked under Centre Director Adam Hemming with a team of international interns. We assisted with backstage work on main stage productions, administrative duties, the adults’ and children’s community theatre divisions, and box office work.
- I also wrote articles for the theatre’s website, and offered new play dramaturgy consultation for Francis Kobayashi’s The Grand Guignol.
- In addition, I helped facilitate the ScriptSpace new play workshop by running one of the monthly readings, casting readings, communicating with playwrights, and reviewing script submissions.
Carnegie Mellon University; BFA Dramaturgy, Music Minor
- I graduated with:
- College and University Honors,
- a Mary Michael Gifford Award for outstanding dramaturgy in the School of Drama,
- a Student Leadership Recognition Award,
- and inductions into both the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies.
IES Abroad London Summer Internship Program
- London, UK
- See Space Theatre internship above